As i’ve said before, It was amazing to get to write a song for Al Yankovic. I even got to go in and help direct Al while he sung! Not that there was much to direct, Al was so professional He came in with pre-made sheet music of the song (which he gave to me after the record).
Originally I wanted it to be sort of like an early beach boys song, but i ended up just using something pretty catchy that i plunked out on the guitar that I was immediately able to conjure up lyrics to. I ran the lyrics and song by Cole the next day, and he helped me rewrite them to be much funnier and fit more in line with the Banana Man’s character.
Here’s my demo version. Please forgive my singing.
the lyrics go:
- Fixing a truck with the neighbors,
- not a better way to spend some time.
- Hoping to see if they like me,
- using automotive savvy.
- Do a good job they’ll give me props,
- BAM, I’m asked to come back tomorrow.
- A future I see with them and me,
- best buds, hanging out forever.
- Board game Friday nights.
- Best friend pillow fights.
p.s. Al Yankovic is a super nice guy.